Planning to travel with your pet? Ensuring a safe and comfortable journey for your furry companion requires careful preparation and attention to detail. Before you hit the road or board that flight, it’s essential to take a few important steps. We’ve compiled our top tips to help you navigate the process smoothly. So, let’s dive into the essential considerations for traveling with your beloved pet, for a stress and hassle-free journey.
- Consult with a vet: Schedule a visit with your vet well in advance of your trip. If you are travelling to EU or Northern Ireland, you will need to schedule an Animal Health Certificate appointment. You can read more about it here. You will need to have a tapeworm administered by a vet before return to the UK unless coming directly from Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Malta or Norway.
- Research destination regulations: Different countries have varying entry requirements for pets. Research the destination’s regulations regarding vaccinations, microchipping, quarantine, and any necessary permits or documentation. Ensure you comply with all requirements before your trip.
- Use a sturdy pet carrier: Invest in a high-quality, airline-approved pet carrier that provides comfort, security, and proper ventilation. Familiarise your pet with the carrier before the trip, allowing them to adjust and associate it with positive experiences. Using pet pheromones or calming sprays might reduce stress. You can also speak to your vet about ways to reduce your pets stress when travelling.
- Pack essential supplies: Bring along your pet’s necessary supplies, lead, collar with identification tags, waste bags, and any comfort items like a favourite toy or blanket. Carry these items in your carry-on luggage for easy access.
- Plan for comfort and breaks: long flights or road trips can be stressful for pets. Ensure your pet is comfortable by providing them with plenty of water, regular bathroom breaks, and opportunities for exercise and mental stimulation.
We hope our top tips will ensure a safe, fun, and memorable journey – for all the right reasons. Preparation before you travel is the key, so If you have any further questions about travelling or about the Animal Health Certificate, please get in touch with us: